Monday, January 3, 2011

Welcome

Welcome to The Cyborg Apologist!

Here we will be discussing new and exciting forays into the realms of science and technology, look at the shifting cultural paradigms that they inform (and vice-versa), and probably get a bit into politics and pop culture as well.

As for the name, I am a cyborg... sort of.  And so are you... sort of.  My goal here is to make sure you're cool with that fact.  I aim to expose the nature of cyberization as the natural process that it is, to remove the fear and uncertainty, and instead to explore the really cool possibilities that our technology has in store for us.  This isn't to say everything I write will be all roses and optimism.  Dangers do lurk and we need to be aware of them.

As the new year begins, so do I.  Return next week for the opening salvo in what is sure to be an interesting journey.

Next topic: What is a Cyborg, and why am I one?

2 comments:

  1. From the Welcome I assume the initial discussion is going to be around a heavily abstracted definition of the notion of "Cyborg".

    Even eyeglasses, some say, are a kind of early Cyborg modification (even more so, contact lenses).

    Looking forward to hearing where your borders of the "Cyborg" lie, for the purposes of the coming exposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, just in case anyone else actually comes here over the next couple of weeks I don't want to give away everything at once, but as you can imagine from our previous discussions my definition will be significantly broader and more challenging than most would originally assume.

    I doubt I'll be delving into anything quite so philosophical/conceptual as this very often, choosing more to explore current technological news and what it might mean in the broader social context. But this and what will probably be my second topic (the line between disability and augmentation via prosthetics) are more to set a stage for all future topics and discussions than anything.

    ReplyDelete